Top Workplace Injuries and How to Avoid Them
According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, there was a total of 2,905,900 cases of workplace injuries in 2015. These cases included sprains, strains, tears, back injuries, falls, slips, and trips. There were also 4,836 fatal injuries reported in 2015 including falls, slips, and trips that resulted in death. With the average person getting hurt 124 times per year, it is not impossible that a person will experience some type of accident while on the job. So, what type of injuries are you more likely to experience and how you can prevent workplace injuries?
Top Workplace Injuries
Every day in America, approximately 13 people experience a fatal work accident. These accidents can happen at any place and at any time. Some of the most common workplace injuries include:
- Overexertion injuries– injuries related to pulling, lifting, pushing, holding, carrying, and throwing activities at work.
- Slipping/Tripping- injuries related to falls on wet and slippery floors or trips over something lying on the floor.
- Falling from heights- this type of falls happens from an elevated area like roofs, ladders, and stairways.
- Reaction injuries- these injuries are caused by slipping or tripping without falling. They can cause muscle injuries, body trauma, and a variety of other medical problems.
- Falling object injuries- objects that fall from shelves or dropped by another person that can cause very serious injuries including head injuries.
- Walking into injuries– these injuries happen when a person accidentally runs into concrete objects like walls, doors, cabinets, table, chairs, etc.
- Vehicle accidents– employees who drive for business purposes are often injured in auto accidents.
- Machine entanglement– these injuries usually occur in a factory where heavy equipment and machinery is used.
- Repetitive motion injuries– this type of workplace injury is one that is less obvious but is harmful in the long term. For example, typing and using a computer every day can cause carpal tunnel, vision problems, muscle strains, and back pain.
These are just some of the most common types of workplace injuries that could happen while on the job. While most of these injuries are considered accidents, there are some things you can do to prevent them. Some incidents can also be avoided with proper training, equipment, and tools while others can simply be avoided by paying close attention to surroundings.
If you or someone you know has suffered a workplace injury, Pain and Spine Specialists can help! For more information on our work-related injury treatments, call us today!
Call Pain and Spine Specialists Today!
Pain and Spine Specialists treats many conditions and injuries of the back, neck, and spine by taking a whole-person approach to care. Our focus is getting you back on your feet in good health. In Maryland call 301.703.8767, or call 724.603.3560 in Pennsylvania to make an appointment.