Every year, around 3 million kids get injured while on school property. Schools must provide a reasonably safe area for their students, and if they fail to do so, may be held liable by the child’s parents or guardian. The staff at the school have an obligation to protect the kids from any preventable harm, which applies to both private and public schools. If you are a parent and your child endured serious injury due to a slip and fall accident while at school, then it is in their best interest to speak with an attorney quickly for advice.?

Here are some common questions parents ask when their child has suffered because of a slip and fall incident while at school:

What areas must be safe for students?

The playground, cafeteria, classrooms, and gym equipment must all be safe to use. Children must also be supervised while playing in groups with their friends. Because the school is responsible for keeping the property safe, negligence may result in a slip and fall injury lawsuit.

Are there any differences when filing a claim when it comes to a private or public school?

Yes, if your son or daughter was hurt at a private school, then you would file an action against the school directly. However, if your child had a slip and fall at a public school, then the school district may be held liable since public schools are considered government agencies. Bringing a case against a government entity is more challenging, as there are certain rules that you must follow when filing a lawsuit. For instance, you may only have a certain period to file a case before your statute of limitations expires.

What is the first step if I want to file a slip-and-fall case against a public school?

Anyone considering taking legal action must speak with a qualified attorney as soon as possible. When pursuing a slip-and-fall case against a government entity, you first have to submit a written claim to that school, in which they will accept or deny the case before an official lawsuit is filed.

Within this notice, contact information regarding the victim, details of the incident, and contact for the victim’s doctor must be provided. The school will have six months to respond by denying the request or agreeing to pay some or the entirety of the damages. If the parent doesn’t hear back from the school within six months, then they have the right to continue with a lawsuit.

A slip and fall accident is considered a premises liability case, so there are three elements that must be proven through evidence in order to win,

  • The party being sued is the rightful owner of the property
  • The victim who was injured had reason to be present on the property
  • Negligence was committed on behalf of the property owner?

If you think you might have a slip and fall case, contact a slip and fall law firm, like a Washington DC slip and fall law firm, as soon as possible.

Thanks to Cohen & Cohen, P.C. for their insight into slip and fall accidents that happen on school property.

about us

We are a comprehensive pain management practice with locations Maryland, Pennsylvania, Florida, and Virginia. Our mission is to improve your quality of life with evidence based treatments and compassionate care that makes you feel like family.

Digital Guide

View our providers, locations, services, and patient reviews.

Related Articles
Tips for Diabetic Foot Care

Find A Location

If you are searching for "pain management near me" then click button to search by zip-code.

Contact Us

At Pain and Spine Specialists, we are committed to delivering the highest quality of care to our patients. Our patient care coordinators are available to answer questions Monday - Friday from 8:30 am - 5:00pm.

*We accept workers' comp and personal injury claim patients

Appointment FAQ's

Billing / Insurance Questions

We Accept All Insurances!

That includes Medicare and state Medicaid.

How Soon Can I Be Seen?

Usually within one week of the initial call.

Appointments can be schedule by phone or through our contact form here.

What To Expect During Appointments

At Pain and Spine Specialists we provide comprehensive pain care while offering the most up-to-date minimally invasive techniques. Our ethos is to treat each patient (and potential patient) as if they were a family member.

Click here to learn more.

Patient Portal / Policies

At Pain and Spine Specialists we want to provide the most efficient and pleasurable experience possible. As in all medical facilities, we have certain policies in place to ensure that you receive the time you require to address your needs as well as enhance your experience while in our care.

View our policies here.

Reviews and Testimonials

We encourage patient feedback to better improve your experience. We strive to create a friendly and warm environment where patients feel their voices are heard and validated.

View our patient reviews here.

Skip to content